They visit “slow food” advocates Nikos and Lola Frantzeskakis to learn how to cook up healthy — and delicious — dishes in Vamos, Crete using locally-grown vegetables, meats, and of course, lots of olive oil.
Zucchini with Eggs
1 pound zucchini cut in 1″ slices
1 cup olive oil
1 cup onions, chopped
3 fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 cup water
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Ιn a pot combine zucchini, oil, onions, tomatoes, and 1 cup water.
2. Cook οn a low boil for about 25 minutes.
3. Beat the eggs and add to pot. Salt and pepper to taste.
4. Let cook for 10 more minutes.
Okra with Chicken
1 pound okra (fresh or frozen)
1 pound chicken breast
1 onion, chopped
1 cup of olive oil
3 fresh tomatoes, chopped or 2 cups canned tomatoes
1 1/2 cups water
Sa/t and pepper, to taste
1. Prepare fresh okra by washing and draining well. Remove the stems.
2. Spread the okra in a pan and sprinkle with vinegar. Set the pan in the sun for 30 mins to an hour.
3. In a large pot, cook the okra in the olive oil, vinegar, and salt for about 10 minutes.
4. Remove the okra from the pot.
5. Add the chicken to the pot and sauté with onion and more oil [if needed] for 5 minutes.
3. Add tomatoes, cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add water, okra, salt and pepper. Cook on a low boil for 20 minutes. Add more water if needed. Salt and pepper, to taste.